On December 30, 2013, only a day before a six-year-old girl named Sophia Liu was hit and killed by an Uber driver in San Francisco, Elizabeth Eun-chung Yuh, a 35-year-old South Korean native from Ontario, Canada, died of carbon monoxide poisoning at an Airbnb in Taipei. She had traveled there with friends for a wedding and checked into an apartment downtown, where the landlord had recently enclosed an outdoor porch without properly venting the water heater or installing a carbon monoxide alarm. According to a report in the China Post, her four friends in adjacent rooms were admitted to a local hospital and treated for carbon monoxide inhalation, but Yuh was found dead at the scene. A few weeks later, her father, Deh-Chong Yuh, tweeted at CEO Brian Chesky: Unlike the Sophia Liu tragedy, the incident received no attention in the Western media. When I later asked Airbnb about it, a spokesperson emailed me a statement: “We were extremely dismayed when we learned about this incident and we immediately reached out to the guest’s family to provide our full support and express our deepest condolences. This was a tragic event and our focus has always been on supporting the family and taking action to help prevent this kind of incident from happening again. Additionally, we permanently removed the host from our community. Out of respect for our community members’ privacy, we generally do not comment on the conversations we have with them.” Get the full story at Medium